2013年6月18日火曜日

Avenger Week, Part 1

Lo there do I see my Father...
Buliwyf sees the line of his people back to the beginning.  
In The 13th Warrior, while defending the shattered village the Northmen call to their ancestors for strength in battle. There is a decent bit of prose with some epic slow motion imagery and that plucks my very sensitive heart-strings every damn time. If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend it. I've been talking about the words that drive characters a lot lately and that has got me thinking about my favourite 4th Edition class: the Avenger.
In 4e D&D, the Avenger uses oaths as its core mechanic. Their power is called the Oath of Enmity (which is fucking wicked) and they draw upon divine might from their gods to smite the infidels in their path. Mechanically, the Oath of Enmity is totally mint: roll twice to hit the object of your ire. Confer a reroll on an ally attacking your Enmity target. Yes! YES! Gimme more! Unfortunately, there's the final word on oaths from 4e. This, to my mind, is a colossal failure to capitalize on a game mechanic that could go absolutely bananas and slam dunk some role-play on the roll-play.
The oaths of D&D (at my home table) can often be boiled down to: "Hey muthafucka! I'm gunna tear yer head off and shit down yer neckhole!" Terrifying and amusing, to be certain. Stay tuned, the Avenger is getting some chirurgeon treatment this week: new Oaths, new Oath-sworn Channel Divinity powers and a Labyrinth Lord compatible class. It's Avenger Week.

The Avengers of Comedic Blaxploitation

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿